Bumps Marshalling Instructions for Lower Boathouse Stretch
(Exeter, BNC, Oriel, Lincoln,
Queen's, Balliol, New, Worcester, Merton, LMH, Magdalen, Trinity, Christ
NB: These are the instructions for bumping races only, separate
instructions apply for Rowing On
- Make sure you are ready to boat (= push off) as soon as the last racing crew of the previous racing division has passed YOUR raft. Don't wait any longer than this. If there is a queue for boating, let those lower down the division go first.
- Boat with your bowball to the left, and keep as close as possible
to the strokeside (cox's left) bank as you go down to Long Bridges.
- If you are in the
bottom half of the division, move to the towpath as you reach the top of the Gut, giving way to any cruisers
exiting the Gut, and keep to the right in the bottom stretch, spinning near
Haystacks (*or above Haystacks if red flag) and by the Falcon raft.
- If you are in the top half of the
division, turn to bowside at Long Bridges, taking care to keep clear of the Gut, and
then continue your warmup going close to the towpath bank past the Univ raft.
- When ready
to go to your bungline, turn to bowside again and proceed downstream, again
keeping close to the boathouses/Green bank. Remember you can spin anywhere, you don't need to go right to the Head.
- When you reach the Gut, you start
keeping to bowside (cox's right) and keep to normal river rules.
- Crews in the bottom half of the division can do laps between Haystacks and Falcon, spinning carefully out of the way of other crews. They can spin anywhere it's safe and clear.
- Crews in the top half of the division warm up above the Gut, and when they come to their bunglines, must spin STRAIGHT ON, stopping beside their number then turning (in Torpids, where they will be dragged by the stream).
- All crews should be in or below the Gut with 5 minutes to go, and holding their bunglines with 1 minute to go, or they will be fined as late.
- Crews in the correct water (ie on their bowside) have priority
over those near their strokeside bank.
- Give way if your crew is in the "wrong" place, eg crossing to your bungline.
- If you are in the crowded area, spin bows to the towpath.
- IF YOU BUMP OUT BELOW YOUR BOATHOUSE
then follow the last racing crews back
upstream, and provided that you have not delayed your row-back too long, you
should be able to continue from the Green Bank straight back to your boathouse
following the racing line. However, if you see crews starting their warmup
towards you, coxes please move to the towpath bank, go to
the Head, spin to bowside, and return to your boathouse sticking close to that
bank (your strokeside). Do not cross in front of cruisers.
- Crews bumping out below the Gut must stick to bowside on the lower stretch until they are above the Gut, when they should move to strokeside on the upper reach.
- IF YOU BUMP OUT ABOVE YOUR BOATHOUSE
then proceed to the Head, spin to bowside and return to
your boathouse sticking close to the Meadows (strokeside) bank.
STICK TO THE BANKS AND LEAVE THE MIDDLE CLEAR FOR CRUISERS
Back to Coxing Instructions