Bumps Marshalling Instructions for the Univ Raft
(Univ, Linacre, St. Peter's, Wolfson)
NB: These are the instructions for bumping races only, separate
instructions apply for Rowing On
- Make sure you are ready to boat (= push off) as soon as the last racing crew of the previous racing division has passed YOUR raft. Don't wait any longer than this. If there is a queue for boating, let those lower down the division go first.
- Boat with your bowball to the left, and keep as close as possible
to the strokeside (cox's left) bank as you go up towards the Head.
- Turn to bowside,
and continue your warmup by going down close to the boathouses and Green bank.
- If you are in the
bottom half of the division, boat towards the Head, then turn once you are clear of the raft and clear of impeding any other crews. As you go down the Green Bank, be ready to move to the towpath when you reach the top of the Gut, giving way to any cruisers
exiting the Gut, and keep to the right in the bottom stretch, spinning near
Haystacks (*or above Haystacks if red flag) and by the Falcon raft.
- If you are in the top half of the division, turn to
bowside at Long Bridges, taking care to keep clear of the Gut, and then continue your
warmup going close to the towpath bank past the Univ raft.
- When ready to go to your
bungline, turn to bowside again and proceed downstream, again keeping close to
the boathouses/Green bank. Remember you can spin anywhere, you don't need to go right to the Head.
- When you reach the Gut, you start keeping to bowside
(cox's right) and keep to normal river rules.
- Crews in the bottom half of the division can do laps between Haystacks and Falcon, spinning carefully out of the way of other crews. They can spin anywhere it's safe and clear.
- Crews in the top half of the division warm up above the Gut, and when they come to their bunglines, must spin STRAIGHT ON, stopping beside their number then turning (in Torpids, where they will be dragged by the stream).
- All crews should be in or below the Gut with 5 minutes to go, and holding their bunglines with 1 minute to go, or they will be fined as late.
- Crews in the correct water (ie on their bowside) have priority
over those near their strokeside bank.
- Give way if your crew is in the "wrong" place, eg crossing to your bungline.
- If you are in the crowded bungline area, spin bows to the towpath.
- IF YOU BUMP OUT BELOW YOUR BOATHOUSE
then follow the last
racing boat upstream, cross early to the towpath side (ie go into the warmup circulation), and go into your raft
- Crews bumping out below the Gut must stick to bowside on the lower stretch until they are above the Gut, when they should move to strokeside on the upper reach.
- IF YOU BUMP OUT ABOVE YOUR BOATHOUSE
then proceed to the Head, spin
to bowside, down near Long Bridges, spin again, and come into your raft going upstream
next to the towpath.
STICK TO THE BANKS AND LEAVE THE MIDDLE CLEAR FOR CRUISERS
Back to Coxing Instructions